Sustainable cities of the future – sketch
Notes for keynote at UK Green Building Council Annual City Summit, Birmingham.
1. Spatial planning & human behaviour implications of sustainability – reduction of transport carbon through shift towards walking, cycling & public transport
2. A massive shift needed in transport + land use planning, urban + landscape design, architecture. Professional inertia. Turning the supertanker.
3. A massive opportunity. Reason to turn.
4. Lessons from the past eg Pompeii, Brindley Place.
5. Examples from the present eg Darwin, London SkyCycle, Birmingham Charette.
6. UK government: Smart & Future cities agenda is a sustainability agenda.
7. Social inequalities dimension of sustainability.
8. Need to act at all scales simultaneously ie there’s work for all of us to do.
9. Challenge for modelling.
10. Challenge for research.
11. Challenge for practice: design, development & real estate investment.
12. Already being acted on. The supertanker is turning.